Hollywood's First Major Film Company Studio
One-half of this structure, then in use as a barn, was rented by Cecil B. DeMille as the studio in which was made the first feature-length motion picture in Hollywood, "The Squaw Man," in 1913. It was originally located at the corner of Selma and Vine Streets, and in 1927 was transferred to Paramount Studios. Associated with Mr. De Mille in making "The Squaw Man" were Samuel Goldwyn and Jesse Lasky, Sr.
Registered Landmark No. 554
Plaque placed by California State Park Commission and Historical Landmarks Committee of Los Angeles County in cooperation with Paramount Pictures Corporation, Dec. 27, 156
Casa De Governor Pio Pico
Following the Mexican War Pio Pico, Last Mexican Governor, acquired the 9000 acre Rancho Paso De Bartolo and built here an adobe home that eventually was destroyed by the floods of 1883-84. His second adobe casa, now known as The Mansion, represents a compromise between Mexican and American culture. While living here the ex-Governor was active in the development of American-California.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 127
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee, Governor Pico Mansion Society, Poppy Trail Parlor No. 266, and Whittier Parlor No. 298, N.D.G.W., July 30, 1966.
Long Beach Marine Stadium
Created in 1932 for the rowing events of the Xth Olympiad, the stadium was the first manmade rowing course in the United States. Its width allowed four teams to race abreast, eliminating additional heats and allowing oarsmen to enter the finals at the peak of their form. Later it served as the venue for the 1968 and 1976 United States Men's Olympic Rowing Trials and the 1984 United States Women's Olympic Rowing Trials. The site remains an important training and competitive center for rowers, including our National and Olympic teams.
CALIFORNIA REGISTERED HISTORICAL LANDMARK No. 1014
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Boy Scouts of America, the City of Long Beach and the local community, April 29, 1995
Named for Richard Henry Dana, author of "Two Years Before the Mast," who was here in 1835. El Embarcadero, the cove below was used by hide vessels trading with Mission San Juan Capistrano. This trade reached it's peak in 1830-1840. Here in 1818 Hipolito Bouchard, flying an Argentine flag, anchored his fleet while raiding the mission.
HISTORICAL LANDMARK No.189
California State Park Commission
Battle of the Rio San Gabriel
Near this site, on January 8, 1847, was fought the Battle of the Rio San Gabriel between American forces commanded by Capt. Robert F. Stockton, U.S. Navy Commander-in-Chief, Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, U.S. Army, and Californians commanded by General Jose Maria Flores.
Structure erected by the City of Montebello
Plaque placed by Board of Supervisors of the County of Los Angeles, June 8, 1944
Historical Landmark No. 385
California State Park Commission
Dana Point 2 Miles
Named for Richard Henry Dana. Described in his book "Two Years Before the Mast", as the most romantic California spot. In the glamorous days of the ranchos, 1830-1840, Yankee vessels traded supplies for hides here.
Historical Landmark No. 189
Department of Public Works - Division of Highways
Grandma Prisbrey's Bottle Village
This fantastic assemblage is one of California's remarkable Twentieth Century folk art environments. In 1956 Tressa Prisbey, then nearly 60 years old, started building a fanciful "village" of shrines, walkways, sculptures, and buildings from recycled items and discards from the local dump. She worked 25 years creating one structure after another to house her collections. Today, Bottle Village is composed of 13 buildings and 20 sculptures.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 939
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Preserve Bottle Village, July 21, 1984.
This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and for the protection of Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejon was an important military, social, and political center. Camels for transportation were introduced here in 1858. The fort was abandoned September 11, 1864.
Historical Landmark No. 129
Marker placed by California State Park Commission in cooperation with Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor No. 239, N.D.G.W., Bakersfield Parlor No. 42, N.S.G.W., and Kern County Museum.
Dedicated October 10, 1954
Reform School For Juvenile Offenders
The March 11, 1889 act of the California Legislature authorized the establishment of a school for juvenile offenders. Dedication and laying of cornerstone was done by Governor R.W. Waterman on February 12, 1890. Officially opened as "Whittier State School" for boys and girls on July 1, 1891. Girls were transferred in 1916 and only boys have been in residence since that time. Renamed "Fred C. Nelles School For Boys" in 1941 ("For Boys" was dropped around 1970). This school has been in continuous operation serving the needs of juvenile offenders since 1891.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 947
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Department of the Youth Authority, May 24, 1984.
Julian City March 1870
Following the discovery of gold nearby during the Winter of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier Drury D. Bailey laid out the town on his farmland and named it for his cousin and fellow native of Georgia, Michael S. Julian. By 1906 most mines were unprofitable. Since then the area has become more famous for the variety and quality of its apple crop.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 412
Originally registered November 15, 1948. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Julian Chamber of Commerce and Suibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus.
September 27, 1986.
Santa Ysabel Asistencia Site
Father Fernando Martin celebrated the first mass on Sept. 20, 1818 at a site nearby, an outpost of Mission San Diego. By 1822 Santa Ysabel had a chapel, cemetery, granary, many houses, and 450 neophytes. After secularization in the 1830's, priestly visits were rare. Tradition asserts that services have been held here since 1818. Under ramadas erected against one wall after the roof caved in, the present chapel was built in 1924.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 369
Originally registered April 3, 1940. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego, Santa Ysabel Tribal Council, and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, September 26, 1987.
McFadden (Newport) Wharf
The original wharf at the site was completed in the Winter of 1888-89 and was connected by railroad with the Hinterland in the Winter of 1890-91. It served as a shipping and distributing point for Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties until 1907, and provided the nucleus from which developed the City of Newport Beach.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 794
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the City of Newport Beach, October 1, 1965.
Rancho Los Cerritos
The 27,000 acre rancho was once part of an 18th Century Spanish land grant to soldier Manuel Nieto. The Monterey-style adobe was constructed in 1844 and served the Temple and Bixby families as headquarters for large-scale cattle and sheep ranching operations in the 19th Century. In the 1880s the land was subdivided for farming and city development.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 978
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the City of Long Beach and the Friends of Ranch Los Cerritos.
April 30, 1989
Soon after the founding of the Mother Colony at Anaheim in 1857, Anaheim Landing was established as a port of entry for the Santa Ana Valley by the Anaheim Landing Co. Despite treacherous entrance conditions, which caused several disasters, regular coastwise trade was carried on for about fifteen years.
Historical Landmark No. 219
California State Park Commission
Signal Hill Field
Shell Oil Company - Alamitos No. 1
June 25, 1921
One of the world's most famous wells, Alamitos No. 1 was started on March 23, 1921 and was completed June 25, 1921 at a depth of 314 feet, flowing 590 barrels of oil a day.
This discovery well led to the development of one of the most productive oil fields in the world and helped establish California as a major oil producing state.
This monument commemorating Alamitos No. 1 is a tribute to the petroleum pioneers for their success here; a success which has by aiding in the growth and expansion of the petroleum industry, contributed so much to the welfare of mankind.
Dedicated May 3, 1952
Shell Oil Company
The Petroleum Production Pioneers
State Registered Landmark No. 580
Richard Nixon Birthplace
"I was born in a house my father built."
President Richard Nixon
In 1912 Frank and Hannah Nixon built this modest farmhouse on their small citrus ranch. Here Richard Nixon was born, January 9, 1913, and spent his first nine years. He served his country as Congressman, U.S. Senator, Vice President, and 37th President of the United States (1969-1974). He was the first native-born Californian to hold the Presidency. President Nixon achieved significant advances in international diplomacy by ending U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, opening lines of communication with China and the Soviet Union, and initiating the Middle East peace process.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 1015
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace.
Dedicated January 9, 1995
Port of Los Angeles "The Long Wharf"
In 1893 the Southern Pacific Railroad Company completed its 4,720 - foot wharf which served as a deep water port for the Los Angeles Area. After San Pedro became Los Angeles's official harbor in 1897, shipping activity at Port Los Angeles declined. Ultimately abandoned and dismantled, no trace remained of what had been the longest wooden pier in the world.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 881
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Pacific Palisades Historical Society, July 18, 1976.
Portola Trail 1769
Spanish Colonization of California began in 1769 with the expedition of Don Gaspar de Portola from mexico. With Capt. Don Fernando Rivera Y Moncada, Lt. Don predro Fages, Sgt. Jose Francisco Ortega and Fathers Juan Crespi and Francisco Gomez, he and his party camped near this spot on August 2, 1769, en route to Monterey.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 655
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Los Angeles Recreation and Park Commission and Californiana Parlor No. 247, Native Daughters of the Golden West, October 12, 1958.